South African Nursing Council
Regulations Regarding Registers for Students
The Minister of Health, in terms of section 11 (1) of the Nursing Act, 1957 (Act 69 of 1957), has approved of the following regulations regarding registers for students, made by the South African Nursing Council in substitution for the regulations published under Government Notice R. 939 of 28 June 1963, as amended by Notice R. 2015 of 27 December 1963:-
Particulars to be entered in the registers
1. The following particulars shall be entered in the register in respect of each student:-
Admission to the registers
2. (1) (a) An application for registration as a student in the form of Annexure A, together with the applicant's birth certificate, or a certified copy of the relevant page in the applicant's identity document shall be lodged with the Council within two months of the date of commencement of the course of study.
(b) If such application is lodged after expiry of the period of two months referred to, only the instruction undergone during the two months prior to the lodging date shall be recognized as part of the course of study.
(c) In the case of students who commence from 1 January 1988 with the course of study leading to registration as a nurse (general, psychiatric and community) and midwife, as prescribed by Government Notice R. 425 of 22 February 1985, as amended, the application for registration shall be accompanied by an amount of eighty-two rand and forty-six cents (R82,46), excluding VAT.
(d) In the case of an application for registration as a student for any other course of study, the application shall be accompanied by an amount of eighty-two rand and forty-six cents (R82,46), excluding VAT.
(2) In the case of a Coloured or Indian or Bantu student, the names reflected in the application shall be the names appearing on the identity document or the reference book.
(3) A certificate of registration shall be issued in a form determined by the council.
Removal from the registers
3. The name of a student shall be removed from the register-
Restoration to the registers
4. (1) An application for restoration in the form of Annexure A and an amount of eighty-two rand and forty-six cents (R82,46), excluding VAT shall be lodged within two (2) months of the date of resumption of any course. If the application is lodged later, only the instruction undergone during the two (2) months prior to the lodging date shall be recognised.
(2) A certificate of restoration shall be issued in a form determined by the council.
Change of name
5. A student shall notify the council, in writing, of a change of name by marriage or other process of law. The council may demand documentary or other proof of the change. In the case of marriage, the marriage certificate shall be submitted. Documents shall be returned.
THE SOUTH AFRICAN NURSING COUNCIL
APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION OR RESTORATION AS A STUDENT
Name of university or nursing school
(1) State 'White' or 'Coloured' or 'Indian' or 'Bantu'.
(2) Delete what does not apply.
(3) If the reply to any of these questions is 'Yes', full details must be submitted with the application.
©2004-2019 South African Nursing
Council (Under the provisions of the Nursing Act, 2005)