South African Nursing Council
Regulations Relating to the Constitution of Committees
The Minister for National Health and Welfare has, on the recommendation of the South African Nursing Council, in terms of section 45(1), read with section 11(1), of the Nursing Act, 1978 (Act No. 50 of 1978), made the regulations in the Schedule.
1. In this Schedule "the Act" means the Nursing Act, 1978 (Act No. 50 of 1978) and any expression to which a meaning has been assigned in the Act shall bear such meaning.
2. The term of office of a committee constituted in accordance with these regulations shall be the same as the term of office of the council.
3. In addition to the number of members specified for each committee, the president shall be a member of such committee, ex officio, except in the case of the committee of preliminary investigation.
4. (1) The education committee shall consist of eight members registered in terms of the Act and elected by the council from among its members.
(2) A quorum of the education committee shall be five members.
5. (1) The disciplinary committee shall consist of 10 members elected by the council from among its members nine of whom shall be registered in terms of the Act.
(2) The president shall be the chairman of the disciplinary committee: Provided that when the president is not available he shall, after consultation with the registrar, appoint another member of such committee as chairman.
(3) No member of the disciplinary committee may serve on the committee of priliminary investigation referred to in regulation 6.
(4) A quorum of the disciplinary committee shall be five members.
6. (1) The investigating committee shall consist of three members, registered in terms of the Act and, subject to regulation 5 (3), elected by the council from among its members.
(2) A quorum of the investigating committee shall be two members.
7. (1) The laws committee shall consist of four members who shall be elected by the council from among its members and at least three of whom shall be registered in terms of the Act.
(2) A quorum of the laws committee shall be three members.
Finance and staff committee
8. (1) The finance and staff committee shall consist of the president, the vice-president, the deputy vice-president the treasurer and one other member who shall be elected by the council from among its members and who shall, where possible, have expertise in financial and legal matters.
(2) The president shall be the chairman of the finance and staff committee.
(3) A quorum of the finance and staff committee shall be three members.
9. Regulations 2 (3), (4), (6) and (7) and 3 (2) and (3) of the regulations for the investigation of alleged misconduct and the conduct of inquiries, published under Government Notice No. 373 of 13 March 1970, as amended by Government Notice Nos R. 1737 of 29 September 1972 and R. 1707 of 27 September 1974, are hereby repealed.
©2004-2019 South African Nursing
Council (Under the provisions of the Nursing Act, 2005)