South African Nursing Council
Regulations Regarding the Conduct of Enrolled Nursing Assistants which shall Constitute Improper or Disgraceful Conduct
The Minister of Health, in terms of section 11(1) of the Nursing Act, 1957 (Act 69 of 1957), as amended, has approved the following regulations regarding the conduct of enrolled nursing assistants which shall constitute improper or disgraceful conduct, made by the South African Nursing Council:
Note (i). - Attention is directed to section 22 of the Act, which reads as follows:
Note (ii). - Attention is directed to section 1(xii) of the Act, which reads as follows:
1. An enrolled nursing assistant shall carry out such nursing care as his enrolment permits, under the direct or indirect supervision or direction of a registered nurse or an enrolled nurse or, where applicable, under the direct or indirect supervision of a medical practitioner or a dentist or on his direction or written or verbal prescription.
1A. (1) An enrolled nursing assistant shall not advertise for professional gain, or permit such advertisement, other than by indicating his name, address, telephone number, hours of attendance and enrolled qualification in such advertisement.
(2) An enrolled nursing assistant shall not advertise any other person (whether such person is registered or enrolled under the Act or registered under the Medical Act or not), or any product or business or institution or organisation of any nature whatsoever, for any purpose whatsoever and in any way whatsoever, or permit his name or photograph (whether in uniform or not) to be used in such an advertisement.
Breach of Contract
2. An enrolled nursing assistant shall not without good cause break any contract of service into which he may have entered.
Professional Reputation of Registered and Enrolled Persons
3. An enrolled nursing assistant shall not wilfully cast reflection by word or implication upon the probity or professional reputation or professional skill of any person registered or enrolled under the Act or registered under the Medical Act.
4. An enrolled nursing assistant shall at all times observe the principles of professional secrecy.
Contempt of Council, Its Members and Officials
5. An enrolled nursing assistant shall not wilfully commit any act or omission which will bring the Council, or any of its members or officials, into contempt or disrepute, or which will hamper the work of the Council.
Application to the Territory of South-West Africa
6. These regulations shall also apply in the Territory.
©2004-2019 South African Nursing
Council (Under the provisions of the Nursing Act, 2005)