To all Accredited Nursing Education Institutions and all Stakeholders
Criteria for the Approval of
Clinical/Additional Clinical Facilities
Cognisance should be taken of the following criteria applied by the Council
for the approval of a clinical/additional clinical facility:
- The application for approval should be submitted to the
Council by the approved nursing education institution (NEI) prior to
the placement of students/pupils in the proposed clinical/additional
- Retrospective approval of clinical facilities will not
- The period for which students have been placed at a
clinical facility that has not received prior approval, will not be
recognised by this Council.
- Approval of a clinical facility is granted for a
specific nursing education and training programme for a particular NEI.
- Automatic blanket approval for any programme for a
particular NEI is not accommodated.
- A situational analysis, based on set norms and
standards, of the facility should be carried out by the NEI. Where
inadequate/inappropriate learning opportunities exist arrangements should
be made for practica to be completed at an alternative facility.
- In the event of the alternative facility not being an
approved facility, the same procedure is followed in order to obtain
- A copy of the situational analysis, indicating that the
facility meets with the predetermined standard of the NEI, must be
submitted together with the application to the Council.
- A copy of the formal agreement between the NEI and the
facility to be used for the placement of students/pupils should accompany
the application. The formal agreement should specify the role of the
facility versus that of the NEI in fulfilling the objectives for the said
- An indication must be given of the maximum number of
students/pupils to be placed at the facility as well as the duration of
- The name(s) and professional qualifications of the
person(s) responsible for the structured clinical guidance and the
clinical accompaniment, as well as the number of students/pupils each
preceptor is responsible for, should be submitted by the NEI to the
Council annually, for as long as the clinical facility is to be used by
- Documented evidence of clinical accompaniment must be
kept for all basic, supplementary basic and post basic nursing education
and training programmes.
The Council has the mandate to inspect all facilities
where students/pupils are placed for clinical practica at any time. The
Council may also interview students and personnel during such an
G Ramadi (Dr)
S A Nursing Council