12 May 2012
South African Nursing Council Recognition
PROFESSOR PHILDA NOMUSA DUDU NZIMANDE
SUMMARY OF CONTRIBUTIONS OF PROF PHILDA NOMUSA DUDU NZIMANDE TO THE TRANSFORMATION OF NURSING PROFESSION
Prof Nzimande qualified as a general nurse in 1961 at McCord Hospital in Durban.
She continued to study and has a number of nursing diplomas and degrees. She completed her Masters in 1982 and later DPhil et
litt in Nursing Science in 1982. She has extensive experience in both classroom teaching and clinical nursing environment.
Prof Nzimande has contributed in a number of professional and scientific organisations as
Membership of professional and scientific organisations
- KWAZULU NURSES ORGANIZATION
Elected First President of the organisation (membership plus minus 9 000 nurse).
Organization dissolved on 9 August 1995 in favour of joining DENOSA a newly established Democratic Nursing Organization of South Africa.
- NATAL AND KWAZULU NURSE EDUCATORS DISCUSSION GROUP
Founder and an active member. A society that was established to keep together Nurse Educators in KwaZulu natal when the apartheid system divided the Nursing faculty in terms of the Homelands system.
- NATAL AND KWAZULU NURSES ORGANISATION
Founder member and one-time vice-organising secretary at National level and one-time chairperson of Ngoye Region.
(This organisation was established to keep together nurses in both regions during the apartheid era).
- NATAL AND KWAZULU COMMUNITY NURSES HEALTH DISCUSSION GROUP
Past-chairperson of the organisation. (This organisation was established to keep together nurses in both regions during the apartheid
- HEALTH FACILITIES PLAN NGWELEZANA SUB-REGION
Past-chairperson. (A transformation structure which aimed at facilitating a multidisciplinary approach to health care provision within the
- ACTIVE MEMBER First International Secretary of the Sacred Heart Sodality which co-ordinate different sodalities in Southern Africa, active in women initiatives within the church
- A past member of the Editorial Committee/Board an official publication for KwaZulu Nurse Organisation the Nursing Dossier
- A Chairperson of the Editorial Board of Curationis. A Scientific Nursing Journal (referred) in South Africa owned by DENOSA the National Nurses Organisation
- A past member and conveyor of a Research Committee Natal and KwaZulu Nurses Organisation
- NATIONAL NURSING RESEARCH FORUM
In Natal a past member South African National Research Committee
- AMERICAN PUBLIC HEALTH ASSOCIATION
A member since 1998
- AMERICAN NATIONAL TRANSCULTURAL NURSING SOCIETY
A member since 1998
- INTERNATIONAL BICULTURAL NURSE SCIENTIST
A member since 1998
- Invited to become a Council member on Graduate Education for Administration in Nursing In USA in February 1989
- Inducted into Sigma Theta Tau Inc. International Honour Society of Nursing Alpha Lambda Chapter University of Illinois Chicago USA from 21 May 1989
- National Facilitator Steering Committee for Nurses Unity towards professionalism in South Africa 1993, which lead to the formation of a negotiation forum called Nurses Planning for the Future (NPFF)
- A management and Research Consultant since 1992
- First Chairperson of the Transitional Nurses Committee which aimed at leading South African Nurses united and gaining recognition to the International Council of Nurses and Commonwealth Federation of Nurses 1994
- Past member of various academic institutions committees e.g. member of Faculty Board. SENATE Tertiary Committee, University of Zululand, Member of Senate, Council and Vice Chairperson of Ngwelezana Nursing College
- Elected as First National Chairperson of the Interim National Board of the Democratic Nursing Organization of South Africa (DENOSA) established on 28 January
1996 Facilitated and convened negotiations committee with 13 nursing organizations towards dissolving in favour of DENOSA
- Elected as First national Chair (President) of the Joint national Board of the UNIFIED DENOSA on
- Elected as First President after the First Democratic Elections for DENOSA in 1997
- Appointed by Minister of Health to represent South African Nurses in the South African Interim Medical and Dental Council for 1997 and 1998
- Served in the National Co-ordinating Committee for Effective Drug Prescribing Training (Essential Drug Listing)
- Served in Provincial Transformation and Rationalisation Nursing Education Committee for Natal and KwaZulu Province
- Served as a member of a Planning Committee for an International Conference organised by Anlia Polytech,
Natal and University of Zululand Universities. Theme Nursing at the Cutting Edge Caring for the 21st Century 1998
- Facilitated an International Workshop on Open Learning by McMillan publishers
- Campus Representative for Durban Umlazi Campus at the Association of Tertiary Institutions (ATI) which aims to co-ordinate and rationalize institutions of Tertiary Education (Universities, Technikons, Colleges) in Natal and KwaZulu Province 1997 and 1998