REGISTRATION AS CONSTITUENT ASSESSOR AND CONSTITUENT MODERATOR WITH THE SOUTH AFRICAN NURSING
In terms of the Nursing Act, 2005 (Act No. 33 of 2005), the South African Nursing Council, as a regulatory body and an Education and Training Quality Assurance (ETQA) body, is required to monitor assessment and facilitate moderation by nursing education institutions.
The purpose of this circular is to inform Nursing Education Institutions (NEIs) that the Council has resolved as follows with regard to the above matter.
- Registered nurses who hold an additional qualification in nursing education and are registered with the South African Nursing Council will be deemed as constituent assessors and moderators upon application and payment of a fee as determined by the Council.
- The current fee for registration as assessor is R150-00. For registration as moderator, the fee is also R150-00. If registration is for both assessor and moderator, the fee is R300-00.
- The deemed status of constituent assessors and moderators will remain in place until the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) system of the Council is implemented.
- Registered nurses who do NOT hold an additional qualification in nursing education but are formally involved in assessment/moderation are encouraged to undergo assessor/moderator training with the provider that is accredited by the Education, Training and Development Practices Sector for Education and Training (ETDPSETA).
- Failure to register with the Council as an assessor and/or moderator regardless of the registration as such with another ETQA will have implications for the accreditation of the Nursing Education Institution.
- Registered nurses who have already submitted their application forms and paid will have their certificates issued within six months of the date of this circular.
Application forms of registration as assessors and moderators are available from the SANC website.
Kindly note that all other requirements for registration as reflected in Circular 11/2003 are still relevant.
Mr T Mabuda
Registrar and Chief Executive Officer
South African Nursing Council